I usually journal about whatever is on my mind at the moment but sometimes, I need a little push to dive deeper into whatever I’m feeling. It’s easy to fall into the trap of repeating yourself and going over the same thing when you’re an avid journal writer. This is when motivational journal prompts are really helpful. They act as the gentle push you need to start scribbling away!
This particular list I put together is focused on highlighting various moods and emotions. So, keep this list close by for reference whenever you’re in need of some deeper journaling, or simply a cure for writer’s block. From optimistic to grateful to anxious, here are my 30 motivational journal prompts for your every mood!
When you’re feeling up…
Good, Decent, Content
- In what ways can you make your current state even better?
- How can you share some of this positive energy with others?
- How can you improve your health? (Remember, your mental health counts too!)
- What would you like to accomplish today? This week? Month? Year?
- What would you like your legacy to be?
Inspired, Optimistic, Excited
- Create a list of things you’re looking forward to.
- What is the meaning of life to you?
- Assign a word or color to the rest of this year. How does it relate to the vision you have for yourself?
- How can you better appreciate this positive moment in your life?
- Finish this sentence: I feel most empowered when…
Sympathetic, Grateful, Peaceful
- What has been your proudest accomplishment recently?
- Talk about a person you are grateful to have in your life.
- What difficult times have you overcome lately?
- What is the best gift someone has given you (it doesn’t have to be a material thing!). What meaningful gift can you give to someone else?
- What is your life’s purpose or calling?
When you’re feeling down…
Angry, Irritated, Frustrated
- Acknowledge and describe what is currently plaguing your mind.
- Write a letter to your frustration. Explain how it makes you feel and what end result you would like to see.
- It’s the little things! Reflect on all the things that went right today (you woke up healthy, you didn’t burn your toast, you had a good hair day,…)
- Write out all the words that immediately come to mind right now. Then replace them with the words you would like to welcome into your mind.
- Talk about the last time you laughed really hard.
Stressed, Anxious, Nervous
- What would you like to not have to do anymore?
- Lighten your load. List 5 unnecessary or non-critical tasks you can relieve yourself of.
- Create a happiness playlist, movie list, or TV binge list.
- Look ahead. Write out a list of 10 goals or a bucket list.
- What is triggering these emotions in you? Are you giving them more control than they deserve?
Sad, Depressed, Upset
- Let it all out! Write about the things that are bringing you down lately. Be honest and open.
- Assign a color to your emotions and explain why you chose it.
- What can you forgive yourself for?
- Create a list of your favorite inspirational quotes. Discuss how each one makes you feel.
- Write a letter to an influential person in your life (celebrity, fictional character, former teacher, family member,…) and explain how they have helped you.
For all my pro journalistas and amateur journal writers, Glamorously You has an array of more journaling material to enjoy! If you’re just starting out, try my Journaling Zero-To-Hero Challenge and if you’ve been in the game for awhile, check out my fun journal activities for when you’re sick of reflection and introspection (and Part 2!). Follow my Journal Love board on Pinterest and sign up for the Glamorously You Newsletter below for more journal prompts! Happy Journaling 🙂
Pin this post!