Check out my other quick guides under the “Beauty” tab or click here!
Mascara is often the unsung hero of a good makeup look. Sure, a bold lip goes a long way and nicely blended eyeshadow looks great but you have to admit – it’s the lashes that finish a look!
In this latest quick guide, I will walk you through some of my best mascara tips and tricks to get the lashiest lashes!
Click on the links or shop the widget below to grab these mascaras for yourself!**
There are several techniques for applying mascara – like the “wiggle from root to tip” method or applying on top of the lashes instead of below. Everyone has their own way but here are my favorite mascara tips for getting my lash game on!
- I first like to comb my lashes with a lash comb. As tedious as it sounds, it makes a difference!
- Next, I curl my lashes. Some people may not think this step is important but this is what will give the illusion that your lashes are even longer than they are. To avoid my lashes being straightened to 90-degree angles by the curler (ladies, you know what I mean), I squeeze it lightly and gently lift the curler up so it is straight across from my eye. This technique gives the lashes an enhanced but natural curled shape.
- After this, I apply the mascara by first scraping off any excess product from the wand. The less product on it will help you to slowly build your length and volume (too much at once will cause clumping). I start applying the mascara at the base of my lashes.
- Then, I focus on the ends of my lashes. I find that doing each part separate lessens clumping and creates longer lashes.
- I then blend everything together by running the wand root to tip.
- The look is completed by fixing any clumpy areas with a lash comb.
The different types of mascara wands can come off as a bit confusing at first. But, once you learn which ones accomplish which look then it will all make sense, I promise! Since everyone has different lashes and preferences for how they want them to look, you will have to find the one that works the best for you.
Wands like these will provide you with natural-looking volume and length. Go with this one if you are keeping it simple but want your lashes to stand out.
My favorite mascara with a thin wand is Covergirl Super Sizer Fibers Mascara.
Wands with this ball-looking contraption on the end are meant to get into those corners that are ever-so-hard to reach. It will provide you with great length all over.
Try out Covergirl So Lashy! Blast Pro Mascara if this looks like the wand for you.
These are starting to pop up on the scene more these days. Micro wands are perfect for bringing volume and length to your bottom lashes that can be difficult to define with a larger brush.
This new Lower Lash Mascara from Pixi has a micro wand that looks rockin’.
These wands mean business! If you want lashes that give you that “falsies” look then this is the one for you. The bristles are very close together, almost brush-like, which don’t separate your lashes but instead clumps them together giving a very thick and voluminous look.
When I want that luscious lashy look, I go with L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara.
Wands with a curve are quite nifty. They hug the shape of your lashes encouraging them to lift and curl. So, if you want long lashes with a great curl then go with something like this.
The classic Roller Lash Mascara from Benefit dons the curved wand and has proven to work wonders time and time again.
Mix & Match for a Personalized Look
All too often, I find a great mascara formula that I just know has the potential to do great things if it weren’t for the crappy wand it came with. This is how I came up with the idea to start mixing and matching wands and mascaras!
My most recent personalized mascara was created by using the curved brush from Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara with Covergirl Super Sizer Fibers Mascara. I get super long lashes with a great curl.
Just be sure that all mascaras and wands being used are only being used by you and are less than 3 months old!
What mascara tips are your favorite? Any go-to mascaras that you love? Let me know in the comments!
**This post features affiliate links which means I receive compensation for every link click and subsequent purchases you may make of products featured in this post. However, I would never include links for products I don’t absolutely love and want you to love too!