There is always room for improvement in the ways we care for ourselves and others. It is wise to be aware of the areas in which we can do better and make those missions a priority. Even small changes can make a big impact! A new year is upon us and it is the perfect time to make some changes for the better.
Here, I have included 50 self improvement ideas for you to try in 2018. Whether you wish to become a better person for yourself or to become a better global citizen, there is something here that you can take on.
I broke the ideas down into 4 important categories – Personal to improve your mind and body, Career to bring you one step closer to your dream career, Relationships to improve the connections you have with the people you love most, and World to be more aware of what’s happening outside of your community.
Be sure to pin this post to refer back to it throughout the year. Challenge yourself to make changes outside of your comfort zone and be the awesome person you know you can be!
In order for us to be able to give ourselves to others, we have to care for ourselves first. In this new year, work hard to make yourself a better person, from a peaceful mind to a healthy body.
- Find a subject to learn more about
- Create a vision board for the person you aim to be
- Pick up a new hobby
- Start journaling
- Improve your diet, one eating habit at a time
- Set realistic expectations to get fit (if you know you’re not an athlete, don’t set goals like one)
- Be aware of the ingredients in the food you eat and beauty products you use
- Practice mindfulness
- Take more time to unplug
- Find a self-help guru you connect with
- Watch Ted Talks & listen to podcasts
- Find an easy and artistic activity to take part in, like coloring
- Use the Internet for inspiration and positivity
- Build something
- Make DIY, all-natural beauty products
- Learn how to use essential oils
- Spend more time outside
- Read more books
- Take an online course
This year is the year that you will get one step closer to your dream career – I just know it! This next group of self improvement ideas will help you to better envision your future and become an even better, more productive worker.
- Create a vision board for your ideal career
- Improve your visuals in your work space
- Log your times to improve your productivity
- Make a 6 month plan (anything more can be too intimidating!)
- Have a career idol to emulate
- Learn/certify yourself in a new skill
- Find a mentor
- Be a mentor
- Start a side business
- Revamp your resume
We’re not just talking about lovers here. Maintaining relationships with our loved ones can get harder as the years go on. Make an effort to stay close with your family and to become a better partner (or potential partner) in your romantic relationships.
- Make a DIY gift for a loved one
- Plan a family day
- Have an honest (and respectful!) talk with your partner about your relationship
- If you’re single, analyze what you really want this year, and don’t settle!
- We buy gym memberships and we search the internet for jobs. Why not buy a membership to a dating site to find a partner?! If you’re serious, then get serious.
- Plan a community/volunteer day with your loved ones
- Have more home-cooked meals with loved ones
- Surprise a loved one with a day full of their favorite things
- Learn to argue better. Choose your battles and be nice!
- Do an activity you and your partner have never done (salsa classes, anyone?)
This is where a lot of us slack off! The world seems like such a vast place that sometimes we feel like our efforts may only be a drop in the bucket. Even if it is, a drop is better than nothing. Make a difference in this new year by becoming a better global citizen.
- If you have some money saved up, plan an international trip
- Join an international organization
- Find a global cause to stay up to date on
- Watch or read international news
- Read about another country’s history
- Reduce your waste
- Adopt better recycling practices
- Donate to a cause you care about
- Use more products that were sustainably made from responsible companies
- Find a pen pal
This is a lot to take in, I know! Tackle these self improvement ideas one at a time. Map out which areas you need to work on the most and go from there. I hope you take this opportunity to become a better you, for yourself, for the ones you love, and for the world!
Pin this post!